Sunday, October 25, 2020

Interview with Toya Richardson

 INTERVIEW WITH TOYA RICHARDSON!!!

 

1. Can you tell us a little about yourself?

I’m married with one grown up son who works on cruise ships and I have a cat called Masai. I live near Ipswich in Suffolk, originally from Essex, in the UK. When not writing or reading I love watching Formula One racing and darts, live gigs, travelling, rock music, cinema, gardening, and spending time with my friends.  


2. Can you tell us a little about your books?

I write mainly paranormal and contemporary romances, although I’m giving rom com a go this Christmas with a novella set around a coach journey, Festive Love Coach. The idea came about when I saw a post of Facebook from a reader who’d been on a Christmas Coach Trip, with all the strange characters she met on that trip. It was hilarious and I could almost see the crazy people on her coach coming to life. I had great fun writing this and it should be out late November/early December. Next year, I’ll be releasing a sexy duet set on the island of Tenerife and book 5 of my Protectors series, Electric Temptation.  

I also have a series of 8 e-books only, which were with a publisher, who has now closed their doors. It’s a paranormal romance series set around Atlanteans living on modern day Earth, which I hope to rework and republish in a couple of years’ time.  


3. How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

18 so far. It's really difficult to pick out just one. I guess it would have to be Wild Desire, The Protectors Series Book 1, simply because it was my first ever self-published book.

4. Do you have a special time to write or how is your day structured?

I don't have set times to write. I'm fortunate that I only work 2 days a week and have plenty of spare time for when the muse takes me. I usually get ideas in the middle of the night and always have my laptop and notepad by my bed just in case.

5. When you develop characters do you already know who they are before you begin writing or do you let them develop as you go? 

I used to religiously write a plan for where I thought the story would go. Unfortunately, my characters have minds of their own. As soon as I start writing they send me off down a totally different route. I no longer wrote a plan and allow my characters to drive the story.

6. How do you come up with your characters' names? 

Sometimes, the names just jump out of my head. I also get them when I see people wearing name badges in shops etc. and if I like the name, I make a note of it for future use.

7. If you could be friends with one of your characters, which one would you chose?

That is a tough one for sure. There are several, Mila from Wild Desire is a great and strong character, loyal and willing to fight for what she believes in. Faith from Destination Love because she follows her dream to become a well-supported author and who is brave enough to move to the other side of the world for her dream and eventually, to find love.

8. Do you have a release day tradition?

Lol, release day is always a nervous one for me. It's the day your book baby is out there for everyone to see. Usually, I am up just after midnight to start sharing and promoting my work. I try not to look at reviews until the book has been out a couple of weeks.

9. If your fairy godmother waved her wand and whisked you away to the location of your choice, which place would you choose?

Waiheke Island in New Zealand. It's where Destination Love and Destination Passion, are both set. As soon as I set foot on the island, I fell in love with the place and the stories flowed quickly.

10. What writing projects are you currently working on?

I have three waiting to be published, the Christmas Rom Com and the Tenerife Duet for next summer. I'm writing an angsty love story set around an allotment, which is between a former model with self-worth issues and a vet who lost his wife and child. It's a slow burn romance. I also need to begin working on book 6 of my Protectors series, which is going to be the final one. I think it'll be a lot longer than the other five because there are lots of romances and loose ends to tie up.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment