Friday, August 24, 2018

Featured Author: L. Simpson

Welcome Today's Featured Author 
L. Simpson!!



THE PRICE OF FORGIVENESS

When Hannah meets Howard, the elusive best man in her friend's wedding, Hannah is instantly drawn to the damaged alpha because they share a connection that makes her heart race and her head spin. But his past, his family and how he slaked his sexual needs keep him prisoner, and challenges her faith in people. With time, Hannah sees the real him, but when he does the one thing she can’t accept, her own demons whisper: Run away from the only man who has ever made her heart full.




 
 




Seven Aussie authors decided the most purple prose phrase they could think of was, “Sheathe your love sabre.” So, naturally, they agreed to each write a story that included the phrase. From those auspicious beginnings, the Love Sabre anthology was born. From spicy hot to sweet, each Love Sabrist has penned a wonderful, yet very different story guaranteed to make you smile, laugh, gasp, or cry. All of them will make you go, “awww.”


https://www.amazon.com/Love-Sabre-Kristine-Charles-ebook/dp/B07987LNPC


 About L. Simpson:
As a girl growing up, I was lost in the world of Anne of Green Gables and Little Women. This started my love of romance although my first published story was at age 11, and about the bushfires that ravaged the Dandenong Ranges where I grew up.
During high school, volleyball dominated my life; (there had to be something positive 6'1” at thirteen!) Representing Australia from a young age I travelled though Asia before taking up a scholarship at the University of Iowa. Living in America and being a full time athlete in a college town was an eye-opening experience and lots of fun (from what I can remember). #gohawkeyes
Returning from the States, my career took a different turn as I started working at the Red Cross and completed my Masters of Law in Human Rights. As one of the few non-lawyers in the class, my essays were far more floral than the rest, something that caused the discerning professors to shake their heads.
Through working and studying, I realised that being a lawyer wasn’t for me and that there are other ways to win hearts and minds. While I've spent the last 14 years as an advocate against poverty and homelessness, the desire to change the world through storytelling has only got stronger.
I now live in Porepunkah in the Alpine Valley of North East Victoria, Australia with my husband, daughter, two dogs and seven chooks. When I'm not doing the whole mum thing, working at a homelessness agency, renovating our farmhouse or trying to do laundry bleary-eyed at midnight, I am writing. With two series on the go, and a mind full of ideas, I've got a bit going on.



 
 
 
Interview With L. Simpson:
 
1. Can you tell us a little about your books?

Beyond Today

Beyond Today is a modern romance set in the beautiful alpine valley of Victoria, Australia and tells the story of Hannah and Howard finding true love despite themselves. Hannah is sassy, fierce, dramatic and extremely independent after her life was torn to shreds by her ex who betrayed and stole from her. She is happy enough living alone, working in welfare, caring for her crazy dogs and spending time with her even crazier friends - until she meets Howard, the mysterious best man in her best friends wedding. 

Through Howard’s avoidance of anything social he has never met  Hannah, and when she literally runs into him at the pre wedding celebrations, she rocks his world for the better, the worse and everything in between.  Howard seems to be the quintessentially tall, dark and broody alpha but his quiet vulnerabilities has Hannah wanting to know more. 

Their chemistry is instant, hot and strong, and Howard is astounded by her honesty and willingness to get to know him. He on the other hand, feels out of his depth because she is so beautiful, brilliant and intoxicating and can see that there is more to his history than he is prepared to disclose. As their relationship continues Howard is forced to tell Hannah about his tortured past that has left him a broken man. Hannah is up for the challenge until he does the one thing she is unsure she can forgive. 

This story is will make you laugh and cry in equal measure, and you’ll get to meet some interesting characters from the Australian countryside. It’s racy and there is some colourful language in it but it also  covers some heavy hitting topics such as mental health and family violence.

Love Sabre

Love Sabre is a collection of short stories from a collective Aussie romance writers. Sure, it’s a strange name, but it came from stranger beginnings. I was sitting with my writing buds at a conference laughing about some of the euphemisms we see in many romance novels when we came up with our own -  “sheathing your Love Sabre.” With none of us afraid of a challenge, we all decided to write a love story using our newly coined phrase. 

My story - Man B&B is about Chloe St. Clare; a broken hearted woman who dreamed of being a chef but instead found herself the owner of an internet dating company that sits between promoting one night stands and relationships.   She has made a career out of avoiding relationships until she meets Scottish IT Entrepreneur Ryan Mackenzie. Ryan sets out to win her affections but when he offers to buy Man B&B  Chloe is forced to weigh up what her head is telling her to do, and what her heart wants.


2. What inspires you to write? 

I’ve always been drawn to love stories and I think love is universal, something we all look for and we all innately crave. So, my love of romance started with the books I read …. until the voices started! I’m a daydreamer and when my daydreams became stories about people I’d  invented, I was driven to write them down and give them life on the page. 

I also love writing happy ever afters and stories of redemption. Through my work in the welfare sector, I see a lot tragedy and heartache, so I wanted to write stories that shows life can get better.

3. How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?
I’ve written two full length novels, one published one not. That said, I have at least 8 books outlined and another two series mapped out! I couldn’t pick a favourite, I fall in love with all my characters. 

4. Do you have a special time to write or how is your day structured?
Finding time to write is hard for me! I work, have a two year old princess/dictator and a crazy family. So, I usually write at night and on the weekends - grabbing whatever hours I can. I’m pretty disciplined so when I sit at my computer and put on my carefully crafted playlist, I dive right in and go like a cut cat.

5. Do you have a favorite food or drink you must have nearby when writing?
I am a fiend for Diet Coke  -  a habit I picked up in college.  When I arrived  at the University of Iowa I discovered $1 gallon size pop from Kum’n’Go, and since then we have been inseparable. 

6. Do you have a favorite spot to write?

I try to sit at my desk to write, I have two screens and can see Mount Buffalo from my window. That said, I can often be found in cafe’s in bright with my headphones on, getting some words on the page drinking coffee. 

7. If you had a superpower, what would it be?
I would love to be able to slow time down. Sometimes my life and the world around me is so frantic, I’d love to be able to just press pause and CHILL.

8. What are writing projects are you currently working on?

I am currently working on the follow up to Beyond Today. I'm completely in love with my Viking-Lumberjack Hero who is all things gorgeous, manly and  is as cocky as they come. Annie is a beauty too - I am constantly trying to wrangle her on the page but she is not one for doing what she is told.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment